Monday, October 6, 2014

Using the XenDesktop DSC resource

In my last article I covered using the built-in desired state configuration (DSC) resources to stand up a Citrix License server.  All but one of the resources I used shipped in the box with Server 2012 R2 - and you could argue that I really didn't have to use the custom resource to fetch and install my license file.

I used the package resource to install the Citrix License server. 

The package resource works great for the License Server, which is a really quick and simple install.  But what do you do when you have an installer that requires reboots mid-stream?  Or even multiple reboots? 

Some of you who have installed XenApp or XenDesktop over the years know that this takes extra time and you have to follow your checklist or the wizard to make sure you didn't miss a step.  What if you didn't need to do that?  Or what if we could greatly simplify the entire process?

Here is an example I think you will like.

Recently released is a Technology Preview of a desired state configuration resource for XenDesktop.  You can find it here: http://www.citrix.com/go/xendesktop-for-the-private-cloud.html

Follow the admin guide and place the module in the PowerShell path on your target (and the machine where you create configurations) and move forward.

Since I will be using this in upcoming examples, lets give it a quick description.




This brings together a few of the previous articles.

Lines 9 - 12 coupled with line 47 sets the local configuration manager (LCM) to handle reboots on its own.

Lines 15 - 20 creates my unzip and logging path

Lines 24 - 30 unzips my media.  I know what the name of my media is and I expect that media to be delivered to the same path where this script is being run by some other agent or process - such as an external process that downloads the media plus this script to the same path and then runs this script.

Lines 33 - 38 call the XenDesktop resource and install one of the roles defined.

If the role installation sets that the system requires a reboot, the LCM handles that.  On reboot it processes the configuration again, until the XenDesktop resource returns 'true' for ensure being set to 'present'.

For the Controller this is generally one reboot, for a session host or VDA tis could be two reboots.  The great thing for me is that it is totally hands off.  DevOps in the XenDesktop world.

Personally, I hope that you check this out, and I am looking for feedback on where this needs to go next and if it is useful to you.  So please, speak up in comments, in the forum, or complete the survey.

Next - lets show this all in action in some real use cases.

1 comment:

BrianEh said...

It just so happens that I ran into this recently myself in regards to installing and configuring a XenDesktop VDA.
This blog: https://ittechlog.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/citrix-xendesktop-virtual-desktop-agent-vda-7-stays-unregistered/ outlines the Registry Key that you must create with the FQDNs of the Desktop Controller machines